Hive NYC is very much ALIVE!! The newly formed Hive Council has been busy working and excited to share work to date. Read on for all the good details.
Hive Council Update
As PASE winds down its stewardship of the Hive in 2018, Hive has formed a Council to bridge the transition into 2019. This was announced at our last Hive Meet-up in September.
The Council started as two working groups – Network Structures and Organizational Capacity – which were recommended as next steps after our Hive retreat in the spring. Now the Hive Council is working with PASE to make sure the Hive continues into 2019 as a member-led organization.
Currently, the members of the Hive Council are:
- Paul Allison, NYC Writing Project
- Elizabeth Bishop, Global Kids
- Brian Cohen, Beam Center
- James Gantt, Reel Works
- Hillary Kolos, DreamYard
- Maggie Muldoon, Mouse
- Anthony Negron, NYSCI
- Jerelyn Rodriguez, The Knowledge House
- Rafi Santo, CSforALL/Hive Research Lab
- Laura Scheiber, Educational Video Center
The Hive Council also meets with and receives support from PASE staff including, Alison Overseth, Ellen O’Connell, and Delia Kim.
As we move forward, the Hive Council will work with Hive members to plan events and make decisions about the future of Hive. We strive to continue our tradition of “working in the open” and will keep Hive members informed on what we are working on and ask for feedback. If you ever have questions about the Hive Council, please feel free to reach out to anyone listed above for more information.
Hive Email List-serv Transition
We wanted to give everyone a heads up that leading into 2019 we will be shifting our email listserv one more time – most likely to a Google Group. We hope that this list will stay as one of our key ways of sharing information and opportunities moving forward. We plan to add everyone from the current PASE email list to the Google Group. There will be the option to opt-out/unsubscribe immediately, if you choose.
If anyone has thoughts or ideas for other ways we can support communication across Hive – in addition to email lists and our current Slack channel – please let us know.
Upcoming Hive Events
We have some really exciting Hive Meet-Up’s coming soon. Please put the dates on your calendars!
- Weds, Nov 28 – NOVEMBER HIVE MEET-UP – 9:30am – 12:30pm
- Global Kids will be hosting this meet-up which will include a panel on Social Justice Pedagogy with educators from GK, DreamYard, and EVC
- All levels of staff are welcome – front-line program staff are especially encouraged.
- Register to attend here on Eventbrite
- Location: Global Kids 138 E. 26th Street – 2nd flr (this is the back entrance due to construction) NY, New York 10010
- Weds, Dec 12 – DECEMBER HIVE MAKER NIGHT – 5:00pm – 8:00pm
- Mouse will host this fun night of making (and drinks!) for Hive members
- Location: Mouse, 55 Broad St 16th Fl, New York, NY 10004
- More details TBD
- January, Date TBD – STATE OF THE HIVE
- This is our annual mandatory meeting to check-in on all things Hive and plan for the future.
- We will also be celebrating Hive NYC’s 10th anniversary!
- More details coming soon
We appreciate everyone’s support as we transition into 2019! We hope to see you all in-person at a Hive event soon!
Hillary + the Hive Council