It’s the start of a new year and that means Hive NYC and its members are planning and launching even more great programs and events for young people across New York City. Everything including writing workshops, opportunities to help create museum experiences, video game competitions and more!
- WNYC Radio Rookies is hosting a live chat about sexual cyberbullying that coincides with a new story airing on WNYC tomorrow, Jan. 8th by Rookie Reporter Temitayo Fagbenle. If you or your class is interested in participating, please contact Radio Rookies Associate Producer, Courtney Stein at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can listen to Temitayo’s story here.
- Applications are due tomorrow, Jan. 8th for the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum‘s DesignPrep Sophomore Scholars Program. Participants will attend Design Camp at North Carolina State University, a week- long program with projects involving each of the following design disciplines: architecture, landscape architecture, industrial design, art + design and graphic design. Visit http://www.cooperhewitt.org/events/designprep for more details and to apply.
- The New York Public Library and The LAMP are kicking off Deconstructing Fashion workshops this week. Teens will investigate the real messages behind fashion industry advertisements and commercials and create multimedia responses. Workshops start tomorrow (and run every Tuesday at 4pm through Feb. 26) at Inwood Library in Manhattan. Another session on Thursdays at 4pm will run at the Bronx Library Center from Feb. 7 through March 28. Show up or visit nypl.org/teens for more details.
- The American Museum of Natural History is hosting DIGITAL LEARNING WEEK 2013, a series of four, FREE one-day programs during Regents week, from Tuesday, Jan. 22 through Friday, Jan. 25th. The program is open to high school students (grades 9-12), and is an opportunity to test digital media tools and build prototypes for upcoming programs and exhibits, including an audio tour for the Hall of Pacific Peoples (Dum Dum!) and a Minecraft game related to the new exhibit, Our Global Kitchen. Visit http://www.amnh.org/learn-teach/grades-9-12/digital-learning-week for more information or to sign up!
- Urban Word NYC is starting up its Winter Wordshops in early February. These free, after school writing workshops encourage creative expression in the literary arts, spoken word, hip-hop and performance. Weekly workshops are offered in Chelsea, in Crown Heights in Brooklyn, and at The Point in the Bronx. Email Signup@urbanwordnyc.org or click here for more details.
- The National STEM Video Game Challenge will be accepting applications later this month! Hosted by the Joan Ganz Cooney Center at Sesame Workshop and E-Line Media (Hive NYC is also a sponsor!), the competition is open to middle and high school students across the country. See the 2012 winners below and click here to learn more about contest categories, prizes and to enter your video games!